White sauce instead of ricotta cheese, delicious meat sauce with homemade tomato sauce and yummy homemade lasagna noodles. Unforgettable.
For the meat sauce:
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves
500 g ground beef chuck
500 g ground pork (or pork sausage)
500 g homemade tomato sauce
300 ml beef stock
For lasagna sheets:
500 g all-purpose (or ’’00’’) flour
1 tsp olive oil
For white sauce:
60 g butter
45 g flour
600 ml milk
1 tsp Dijon mustard
150 g cheddar cheese
60 g Parmesan cheese
1. Chop onions and mince garlic cloves. Heat olive oil in a large stewpan like this, add meat and cook until well browned. Add onion, garlic, tomato sauce, beef stock, salt and pepper. Simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
2. Mound the flour on your work surface, make a large well in the middle, add eggs and olive oil. With a fork lightly beat the eggs, gradually adding the flour until dough begins to form. Use your hands to work the dough until it becomes smooth. This is much easier if you divide the dough in half. Wrap the dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Use a rolling pin like this or pasta machine to roll out the dough and cut into strips. Set lasagna sheets aside.
3. Melt butter in a sauce pan like this, add flour and cook for 1 minute, stir constantly. Turn off the heat, add milk and stir. Turn the heat back on and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes more, until the sauce thickens. Add nutmeg, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
4. To assemble spread a little of meat sauce in the bottom of your baking dish, cover with lasagna sheets. Continue with one third of meat sauce and one third of white sauce. Sprinkle with one third cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese. Repeat twice.
5. Bake at 190 C for up to 1 hour.