To be honest, I wasn’t a big fan of pork. Until I have discovered recipes like this one. Secret is in amazing combination of spices and herbs, blasting in hot oven and slow cooking in a milky bath. You have to try it.
1,5 kg boneless pork belly
2 Tbsp fennel seeds
2 Tbsp crystal salt
1 tsp black peppercorns
5 garlic cloves
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 (1,5) l milk
1. Score the pork belly skin. This paring knife is great for the job.
2. Toast fennel seeds in a dry frying pan for about 2 minutes. Chop garlic and slide leaves from thyme stems.
3. Put fennel seeds into the mortar and grind with 1 Tbsp salt and black peppercorns. Add garlic, thyme, olive oil and mash to a paste.
4. Rub the paste only over the flesh of the pork. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least few hours.
5. Before roasting bring pork belly to room temperature, uncovered. Pat the skin dry.
6. Put in a roasting pan like this. Season the skin with 1 Tbsp crystal salt and drizzle with olive oil.
7. Roast for 30 minutes at 240 C, than pour in the milk about half way up the sides of the pork belly.
8. Reduce the heat to 150 C and roast for a further hour and a half. Finally turn the heat back up to 240 C and roast for 30 minutes or until the skin is perfectly crispy.