Can you picture this classic Italian dish without lasagna noodles? I guess you just have to, if you are gluten sensitive. Or you would just like to introduce more healthy vegetables into your family diet. Surprising or maybe not this pasta-less lasagna is delicious. You don’t believe me? Taste for yourself!
900 g ground meat (mixed pork, veal and beef)
3 cups canned tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp butter
6 cloves garlic
500 g ricotta cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
400 g grated mozzarella cheese
4 tbsp fresh parsley
4 tbsp fresh basil
- In a stew pan like this cook ground meet in olive oil and butter until slightly brown. Add oregano and 3 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped. Season with salt and black pepper. Add tomatoes, crushing them with your hands, and tomato sauce. Simmer for an hour. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 190 C. Peel eggplant, cut it into 1/4 inch slices and sprinkle with salt. Slice garlic cloves into thin slices. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper, sprinkle with olive oil, arrange eggplant with garlic slices on the top and sprinkle with some more olive oil. Cook for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh basil and parsley, salt and eggs, beaten.
- To assemble, spread few tablespoons of meat sauce in the bottom of a pan like this. Arrange layer of eggplant slices over meat sauce. Spread with one half ricotta cheese mixture, top with half of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cook for about 45 minutes or until the top becomes brown and crusty. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.